Saturday, April 12, 2008

New wheels, bike.


Soon, I will be making a pretty sweet addition to the stable. Well, two additions.

First, my new race wheels will be coming on Tuesday, if Brown Santa/UPS keep their word. Next, and slightly more awesome, is the upcoming purchase of a Gary Fisher Paragon...which is, gasp, a mountain bike.

The good people at my LBS, Prairie Path Cycles, are going to give me a nice discount on the Paragon, simply because I'm a member of the club. Now, some people will say "Well yeah, of course they are, dumbass" to this. However, as many of you (all 4 of you) know, ABD is, as far as I know, almost entirely composed of road-riding, dirt-fearing types who do road races, crits, TTs, and God help them, triathlons.

So what does this mean? In my estimation, ABD should have little to no interest in my pursuit of off-road awesomeness. And through some associative property, they shouldn't really give a damn about giving me a discount on an MTB. As I'm not Sven Nys, Gilberto Simoni or some other big name taking up MTBing, they won't rake in any more money or gain much more sponsorship visibility by having me racing in the whatever-class MTB race in Cheeseville, WI this summer. Quite literally, I'll be substituting helping my teammates in some races to help myself. Not saying I'm an intergral part (not even a PDT member) of their successes, but a body to help work at the front is never a bad thing, and one less is never good.

Because of this, I'd like to say thanks to the good people at PPC for their support of me, the ABD club, and cycling in general. You guys rock.

Coming soon: a debacle in the glueing of tubular tires to carbon rims.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Last I checked you were a short dude. Who convinced you that you needed a mtn bike with 29in wheels?
-Erik

Craig Erbach said...

I second Erik's concern here. I assume you've ridden a 29er before and somehow decided you like it better right?

Andy said...

I've been on the single speed version of the GF 29er. Fit well enough. I don't really know what a mountain bike should feel like, if that makes sense, so I can't really make a great comparison. I can hop on a road bike and know damn near immediately if a bike could fit me, but MTBs are a mystery. I might end up going with the Trek 8000 as well. Not sure yet.

Unknown said...

I mean, the issue with 29ers is that as the frame size gets smaller the geometry is forced into being odd and sluggish. Rumor has it that the big wheels work well for taller people (although pro's other than JHK- subaru- gary fisher of course- are still undecided).