Just yesterday, the Winfield/Wheaton/Glen Ellyn area experienced its first 80 degree day of the year. I.e. bike racing weather. Sunburn weather. I-need-to-remember -to-drink weather. While this may seem unremarkable to some, I find it to be piss poor. For shame, climatologists, I thought we were experiencing an upswing in global average temperatures? (Yes, I realize I'm ignoring the fact that a rolling average can include some lower-than-average points yet still be indicative of an upward trend)
In all seriousness, though, I want to start racing my bike. I want to start sleeping in economy chain hotels, I want to eat McDonalds entirely too often, and I want to go 30mph for long stretches of time. I want to grind up mountains, bomb back down them, and see the destruction behind me.
I'm particularly enthused about the prospects of XC and marathon XC MTB racing. Forcing myself to produce high amounts of power for long periods of time can do nothing but help me become a more well rounded cyclist. I know of very few races that are determined purely by your 20min w/kg average, so I'd best adapt to the rigors of longer, harder races. What better way than what essentially becomes a 2-6hr TT? I'm looking forward to the challenge.
I'm also looking forward to riding/racing with some old friends, and making some new ones along the way. Among the dudes who taught me how to ride, mainly John Meyers, Adam and Dave Stone, and even Jamie Kimberley. My mom successfully stalked/tracked Jamie down (without my knowledge) and informed him that we'll be out in his new 'hood come September for my cousin's wedding. I'll probably just be peaking at that point (terrible at timing these things) so I'll be looking to beat down some East Coast kids and drag the old man along. I'm hoping that Le Stone will be bored enough with his internship to start riding his bike to entertain himself. I'm guessing that Le Elder Stone and TSK will put a major hurt on their respective fields this year, if early season results are any indicator.
In terms of meeting new people...well, I'm hoping I won't meet any more idiots in cars. I'm down with meeting hot girls in cars, or on bikes, or in general, provided none of them try to run me off the road. I've come to the realization that since leaving college, I have quite literally met no one new that I'd hang out with or go out with. Maybe college was too easy in that regard. Maybe meeting people through classes or out at the bars eroded what little social ability I possessed in high school. Sad, but true.
So, hopefully this bike racing thing will provide some interesting diversions, and perhaps, solutions, to the various "problems" I have. Quoted, to indicate that they aren't really problems. Just dilemmas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment