Friday, July 25, 2008

I'm Super Weak; An Update

It seems that legs alone are not enough to get you through a SuperWeek race. I'm stronger than I've ever been, but I'm not even shooting .500 in terms of finishing.

To keep this short, here's a synopsis of what I need to do in order to improve. Quite simply, I need to learn how to move up through the field, and maintain my position. I'
m not a Cat3 anymore, nor are SuperWeek races the normal Cat1/2 races with 60 guys. I can't just muscle my way up along the sides simply by being faster than other people. I can only make so many of the efforts necessary to do that sort of thing at SuperWeek pace.

There is one good thing about being a bottom feeder in SuperWeek races: if you survive, you get one hell of a workout. I'm sure tomorrow will be another example of this, and I'll have my PT wheel on board to get some data. I wouldn't be surprised if my best 2hr average power was 300w or more (I do believe that is the only power figure I've ever thrown out on this blog). Having started or re-started at the front a couple of times, I know that it's discernibly easier up there. So, while I'm not exactly happy about being a non-factor in just about every race, it's not all bad.

Anyways, here's a sweet picture of me being packfodder at Evanston:


No comments: