Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Winfield Weekend

Quick little description of this weekend's races:

1) Saturday, Twilight Crit. Bunch of moves go, nothing sticks. They ring the bell one lap too early, when I'm mid pack recovering. Brett and I are stuck in no-mans land, not present in the leadout for Josh. Negative happy about that. Josh gets second, and the team gets several more minor placings.

2) Sunday, ABR Nats Crit: Help launch the moves that end up sticking. That's cool. Sit in, try to make sense of what Julie is telling us, because we simply can't hear her. Brett determines that the White brothers are about to lap, so we mosey towards the back of the field. We convince the non-Ryan Knapp and Mike Sherer Alderfer-Bergen gents to do the same. Together we pull our dudes up to the front. Get to work keeping the pace high enough to discourage any would-be last lap heroics. Isaac Neff (A-B) and Steve Spencer (ABD/GG) come back from the second break/chase group, which has splintered. John is still up the road with Dewey Dickey and others.

I'm at the back of the 5 man rotation, when, heading into the hill, the pace slows and we are immediately swarmed. Steve and Ryan White save my ass, and keep Rob near the front. Random last lap attacks go off, nothing gains any ground, Ryan kills it over the top of the hill, down the hill, and around the corner. Rob comes home in 1st, Ryan in 5th, and John in 10th. I'm somewhere in the mid-40s. And, oddly, I'm fine with that. For now, at least.

Next up: Tour de Winghaven in the STL.

No comments: